Click on the SHRM recertification portal above: recertify, track your PDCs, and more.
Recertification: New Policy Changes Effective August 1, 2019
"I am excited to announce the following policy updates to the recertification process. These changes will provide you with more flexibility and add more value to the professional development credits you earn throughout your recertification cycle.
Our goal is to simplify the processes while increasing options for programs that count toward recertification. We are proud to provide the best in class HR credential and will continue to expand our professional development program to serve HR professionals around the globe. "
Alexander Alonso, SHRM-SCP
Chief Knowledge Officer
New Policy Changes:
Earn PDCs During the Grace Period
Effective August 1, 2019, SHRM Certification holders who are working toward recertification can earn PDCs for activities they participate in through their grace period (the 60-day period between their certification end date and expiration date).
The Benefit of this Change
Allows more time to add activities to your account.
- Any PDCs earned during this period may be applied toward the recertification requirement.
- There is no maximum on the amount of PDCs you can earn during this period except in the areas with PDC limits (i.e., Advance Your Organization category - 20 PDC limit and the Advance Your Profession category - 30 PDC limit.)
Since this activity is taking place after the regular recertification cycle, a $50 late fee(in addition to the recertification application fee) to recertify will apply.
Immediately Begin Earning PDCs for the New Recertification Cycle
When You Recertify Early
Effective August 1, 2019, the new recertification cycle for SHRM Certification holders who recertify early will begin the NEXT DAY after they recertify. Their end date will continue to be on the last day of their birth month.
Benefit of This Change
- Allows you to begin earning PDCs in your new cycle right away!
- If you recertify early you may have more than 3 years in your new cycle.
If your recertification end date is July 31, 2019 (last day of your birth month) and you recertify on May 15, 2019 your new cycle will begin on May 16, 2019, 12:00 AM and your end date will be July 31, 2022 (the last day of your birth month 3 years later).
Carry Over a Maximum of 20 Credits to the Next Recertification Cycle
Effective August 1, 2019, SHRM Certification holders who recertify with more than 60 PDCs in their account will be able to carry over up to 20 credits to their new cycle.
Benefit of This Change
- Allows you the opportunity to get credit for up to 20 excess credits in your new cycle.
- You must have completed the recertification process (achieved recertification) with more than 60 credits to carry over the excess.
- Maximum carry over is 20 credits per recertification cycle.
- Carry-over credits will be auto uploaded into your certification portal and will appear as an activity in the Advance Your Education category.
- Auto upload will appear in your certification portal at the end of the month following recertification.